Friday, October 31, 2008

Can someone please return my man?

I love my husband dearly... I really do. But marraige has changed him. Not necessarily for the good or bad but just different. I guess it's a mixture of both and it zeros out. Well anyway, all of the sudden he has opinions about me and my son (oops. our son) and what we should do and shouldn't do. Before marraige. He was like having a husband who worked overseas and ond only occasionally came home. Only overseas was the couch and working was napping. Me and my son did things and went wherever we wanted. By ourselves. Maybe it isn't how families should be but it was what we were used to.

Well it all started maybe 2 days after we got married I said I needed to go to the grocery store. And homeboy grabs his keys and says "Let's go before it gets too late" UH? HUH? OK whatever... Well we go and it was awful. I always thought I would like it when I saw other couples in the store. But no. It's better done alone ladies. And it was so rare that I actually felt uncomfortable. Like that first date, this is weird feeling. Or like that uncomfortable feeling you get when you go out with someone from work for the first time and it's strange to be around them without cubicles and staplers and stuff and it just doesn't feel right.

Now Halloween. Homeboy doesn't want us going trick-or-treating. Because there have been too many drive-bys. Well ok valid. But if he wasn't "overseas" for the first 8 years of our relationship he'd know we only trick or treat on the block I grew up on. In the suburbs. Towns away. But he was busy overseas these past few years so he is unfamiliar with our routine.

So I'm like fine. Good I could use a night away. So I tell him I'm going out tonight and he's on father duty for the night. He says fine. I say I'm going to the lodge and he says to me, "Friday nights are the nights people from my job go. Do you really think it is appropriate for a married woman to be hanging out at a bar with a bunch of bus drivers?" with this Father Knows Best look on his face...

By the time I finished with that one he was all "No... No.... you desever it Sweetie... Have a good time"

So I am! Happy Halloween!

P.S. A lot of married guys I talked to said they went through the same thing when they got married. All the sudden they thought it was their job to be the boss. Apparently I just need to keep bringing him back to reality and it will fade.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey first time here...good luck on the married life...and Happy Halloween

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Its weird but you are right there is a change and its unexplainable. With my ex it was a new "clingyness" and other stuff.

I think its one of the reasons I shy away from being married again for fear it will change, you know like Goldie Hahn and Kurt Russell (together all those years....married...divorced...back to just shacking) I dunno.

I'm sure you'll get him straight!

-OG

n0days0ff said...

Sometimes I think about thatz. Me and my lil mama live far away from each other so she hangs out with her mom a lot.they go to bbqs and movies etc... Her stepdad never goes and I wonder if he chooses or they don't invite him.does that mean I won't be able to go? Your hubby probably thinks he is doing the right thing to protect his marriage . A lot of women say their husband doesn't pay her no attention so he's going to the market with you so you won't be one of those people.just my thoughts

Diana Boss said...

n0, you're totally right. Before he came I huffed and puffed because I thought he should come. But I've gotten into such a routine and comfort with going alone or with my son that he just aggravates the situation at this point. He doesn't know how we do things and he just jumps right in -putting stuff in the cart and all and -telling our son not to do stuff that I might let him do - getting in a line that I wouldn't get in - going down an isle that I wouldn't - messing me up and making me forget stuff I need and get stuff I don;t need. I realize now that I enjoy the trips without him and would rather keep it that way.